Mary Fletcher House
UVM Medical Center
The University of Vermont Medical Center can trace its roots back to the Mary Fletcher Hospital, a beautiful High Victorian Gothic building completed in 1879 as Burlington’s first public hospital. Freeman French Freeman was charged with a complete interior renovation and exterior restoration of this Burlington landmark as part of the Fletcher Allen Health Care Renaissance Project.
Interior renovations created modern office and seminar spaces for multiple hospital departments, as well as updating all mechanical, electrical systems to improve energy efficiency and occupants’ comfort.
Outside, major repairs to the building’s foundation, masonry, windows and roofs gave new life to the aging structure. Additionally, two major architectural features that were removed in the 1940s—the port cochere and an ornate belvedere—were reconstructed to match the original 1879 design.